We have yet to landscape (that is a project for next year) but we did spend a little time updating the outside. The house seemed to be too light – there were white doors, white windows, and white gutters, and light gray siding. We thought it needed something to pop a bit. We had thought about shutters, but the windows are not a standard size and there isn’t much space between them for shutters. There were metal flashing on the windows that were paintable, so we decided we would try to paint the trim and see if that helped. We replaced the front door, painted the garage and service doors, and painted the trim.
The front door was replaced as well. The old door and pictures can be found here. We plan to put our house numbers up on the side and take off the big gold and black numbers that are on the mailbox