Mid-October J and I decided it was time to remodel the kitchen. The guy who owned the place before thought he was handier than he actually was – there were holes in the walls, old pipes capped and sticking out of the walls, and homemade plywood cabinets. I’m sure you can see from the pictures that it wasn’t the most functional or eye-appealing kitchen.
The first step was to take down the supper cabinets. Seems simple, right? Well, not when the walls are no longer square. The cabinets were 90% out before they got stuck between the walls. I am pretty sure they were built in place – there doesn’t seem to be any way they could have ever been placed in that space. Needless to say we had to bust out the saw to finish getting the cabinet out.
After the cabinets were out we painted the walls and tried rearranging things a bit. We wanted cabinets on both sides of the kitchen, because the original layout only had them on the wall with the refrigerator. Around Thanksgiving we settled on a plan and purchased unfinished oak cabinets from home depot. For the next 3 weeks Jason spent the his evenings sanding and staining the cabinets so they would be ready for a home remodeling spree after I finished up my exams