In 2017 we decided to move back to Wisconsin. And then stay in Colorado. And then move back to Wisconsin…
We couldn’t decide. Wisconsin offered a lower cost of living, higher paying jobs, family just around the corner and 4 complete seasons (0 degree winter days are normal, snow lasts 4 months straight, summers are very humid. But there are beautiful fall colors, rainy spring days, and more green than you can imagine). Hiking is limited and the area isn’t very diverse, but with all the money and family support, we could visit Colorado any time. Colorado offered 4 light seasons (60 degree days in February – I’ll take it; snow only last a few days- yes, please; no humidity in the summer), endless outdoor activities, and a diverse, young, and healthy population.
But then we stopped to think – we love it here in Colorado. If we move back to Wisconsin for family and jobs, when will we ever work up the courage to come back out here? All of the draws to WI will be stronger once we’ve re-established there and family and friends are around the corner. Even if we wanted to leave, I don’t think we could. After a lot of long talks, it was settled – we would stay in Colorado.
Once we decided, we also decided we would buy a house. While the townhome we were renting was great, there was no yard and we were spending money that could have been going to our mortgage. There was a nearby town we loved to spend our time, closer to the mountains, with better schools and endless activities for families. While I’d have to commute – a lot – during residency, it would slow down after June. It was settled.
We spent weeks learning the market. It was crazy! Houses went for cash, well over asking. Especially if in our price range. One Saturday when we were out with our realtor he mentioned that a house on his street just went on the market – would we like to look at it? Sure, why not! It was just what we were looking for: close to the mountains/hiking, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, large yard, quiet area with lots of families, near schools, and no HOA (which is hard to come by in northern CO). After a second look we placed and offer that was accepted and it was ours.