Tomatoes are in full swing and my dad’s heirlooms are especially sweet now. Here is a quick and easy lunch recipe I threw together last weekend. I love tomatoes and pesto, so I had eyed this recipe up since it was posted in early in August. The original recipe (here) has how to make crust from scratch. I was lazy and had pizza dough on hand, so I just used that to make two galettes.
Tomato Pesto Galette
Original recipe – Two Peas and Their Pod
- 2-3 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/4″ thick
- premade whole wheat pizza dough (or see link above for dough from scratch)
- 1/3 cup basil pesto (I used this recipe from earlier in the summer)
- [optional] fresh Parmesan, feta, or mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a cookie sheet and/or pie tin. I made one in a pie tin and one on a cookie sheet.
- Roll out dough to desired size. Spread a generous amount of pesto and top with tomato slices.
- Fold edges over the tomatoes (see picture)
- Top with cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes.