The first sign of fall came today – winter squash! Is it really that time already? We have a few baby squash coming up in our backyard garden as well, so it will just be a matter of time until I can start to use all of the sage I dried this summer. If you have never tried winter squash with sage, you must! It is absolutely amazing. Our favorite recipes are Spinach and Butternut Squash Lasagna and Acorn Squash Crock Pot Bake. Anyway, I am getting ahead of myself…it is only Sept 10th and there are still lots of summer vegetables to be eaten.
Here is what’s in the box this week:
- Acorn Squash
- Bell Peppers
- Green Beans
- Hot Peppers-mix
- Winter Squash
Here are some recipes I am thinking of making this week:
- Turkey Sloppy Joe’s (carrots, garlic, onions, hot peppers) served with sauteed green beans and garlic (green beans, garlic)
[You could substitute TVP for ground turkey to make it vegetarian]
- Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers made with oven roasted tomato sauce (peppers, garlic, tomatoes, onions, frozen sweet corn)
- Thai basil eggplant with tofu (eggplant, green peppers, radishes, basil from my garden)
– radishes aren’t in the recipe, but I plan to julienne some up and cook them with the eggplant
- Cucumber hot pepper relish to be canned (cucumbers, hot peppers)
- Watermelon as a snack or to freeze for later.
Need more eggplant ideas? I found this great post with the 10 best eggplant recipes (one of which is the thai basil recipe above)