The past two weeks of CSA have included beets. I had posted I wanted to make Naturally Ella’s Roasted Beet and Carrot Salad both weeks, and we have – it is delicious! And super simple. The pictures in this post are from the first week, when the beets were pretty white. This week the beets were a deep, rich purple. The first time I made this I added some fresh thyme and sliced the carrots and beets. When J made is this past week he chopped everything into chunks and used more pepper. If you are adding spice, be sure to add them at the end of the roasting process – my thyme got an icky burnt flavor.
Roasted Carrot and Beet Salad
adapted from Naturally Ella
- 1 pound beets, peeled
- 1 pound carrots (you don’t need to peel)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- fresh parmesan cheese or goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 450F. Spray a small baking pan with cooking spray.
- Cut the carrots and beets into the shape you’d like (sliced circles or chunks)
- Toss the vegetables and almonds with olive oil. Add to baking pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to prevent burning.
- Remove from the oven and ix in vinegar. Top with cheese and serve over lettuce or in cabbage cups (use small cabbage leaves.