Here is a simple made-from-scratch green bean casserole recipe. There are notes at the bottom to make this even easier.
- 4 pounds of green beans (can also use yellow beans), cleaned and trimmed.
- 1/2 large onion diced, or 1 small onion
- 20 ounces ground beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 ounces of freshly sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups of 2% milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- cornstarch (as needed)
- Salt and pepper
- Spray a 6qt crock pot with cooking spray.
- Slice with food processor or chop into cut beans. Add enough beans to fill the crock pot 1/2 way.
- *In a large pan, brown the ground beef with 1/2 of a diced onion. Add to the crock pot.
- **Add 1 tbsp of oil to the same pan and sautee the mushrooms. Remove from heat.
- **In a measuring cup, add 1/2 cup milk. While stirring with a whisk, add 1/2 cup flour and mix well to prevent clumping. Add the remaining 1.5 cups of milk and stir well. Add to the mushrooms in the pan and return to heat. Add salt and pepper (just guess – maybe 1/4 tsp each). Stirring continuously, bring the mixture to a boil. Continue to stir and cook for one more minute to thicken the mixture. If the mixture isn’t thickening, cook for another 1-2 minutes. If it still seems runny, sprinkle cornstarch and stir well. Only do this a little at a time. Once thickened, remove from heat and add to the crock pot
- Mix everything together. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Top with breadcrumbs or crunch french onions when serving.
*If you are short on time, you could just add the meat directly to the crock pot. This is a little risky since there is a chance the meat will sit in the “danger zone” longer than it should and bacteria present on the meat could grow. People do this all the time and don’t get sick, but I just feel better about browning it first. If you put the meat in the crockpot uncooked, try to cook the first 2 hours on high and then reduce the heat to low for the remaining 4 hours.
**if you are short on time, you can skip steps 4 and 5. Instead, just use 1 cup of milk, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, and 1 can of sliced mushrooms. Mix in a bowl and add to the crock pot.