Here is a quick recipe I threw together for a friend’s cookout yesterday. I should rephrase – quick if you have a food processor, but doable if you don’t. I was able to chop all the vegetables in less than 5 minutes with the food processor. If you don’t have time for that, you could by pre-shredded cabbage and broccoli slaw mix at the store. I don’t measure my liquids, so I am guestimating below…feel free to tweak as needed.
Simple Summer Slaw
- 2 pound head of purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 pound celery (1/2 package), finely diced
- 5 whole carrots, julienned
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, finely diced
- 1/2 pound radishes, julienned
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 apple, diced (something tart works well)
- 1/2 cup silvered almonds (chopped walnuts would be great too!)
- 2/3 cup thaini
- 1 TBSP real maple syrup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- Mix all the vegetables, cranberries, apple, and almonds together in a very large bowl (I had to use 2 bowls)
- In a small bowl, whisk the thaini, syrup, and vinegar together.
- Pour over vegetable mixture and spread throughout. A little goes a long way, so just make sure to coat well.
- Let sit for at least 8 hours before serving. The longer the better – slaw gets its awesome taste after the cabbage ferments a little with the vinegar, so make sure you let the ingredients do their thing 🙂