Slow Cooker Carnitas by a Year of Slow Cooking
- 2 pounds pork shoulder
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 large orange)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 7 cloves garlic (whole intact)
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- corn tortillas
- sour cream, salsa, sliced avocado (optional)
- Use a 6 quart slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the salt and cumin. Rub mixture all over the pork, then plop into the slow cooker. Add whole garlic cloves. Squeeze on the citrus, and pour the beef broth evenly over the top.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until the pork shreds quite easily with a fork. If your meat is still fully intact after 8 hours, remove and cut into chunks, then return to the crock and flip to high for about an hour or two.
- Shred meat fully and serve on warmed corn tortillas with desired toppings.