Herb Roasted Chicken with Summer Tomatoes by A Year of Slow Cooking
- 4 pounds chicken, whole or parts, your choice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Use a 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine dry spices and set aside. Wash chicken, remove neck and giblets, and try to cut off as much skin as you can using poultry shears. If the chicken is fully thawed, this is much easier to do. Rub the seasoning mixture on all sides of the bird, inside and out and place into your stoneware. I chose to put the chicken breast-side down to keep it extra moist.
- Wash and cut the stem off of each tomato, and place on top. Pour the white wine in, and cover the slow cooker. Cook on low for about 7 hours. Carefully remove the bird from the pot.
- Of desired, retain the drippings to make a pot of steamed rice (skim off any fat)