Walnut and Sage Potatoes Au Gratin by a Year of Slow Cooking
(with some modifications)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 medium potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices (leave the skins for extra nutrition!)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 cup of butter (you could use a spreadable canola oil-butter product for a buttery taste with less saturated fat)
- 1 t salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 t dried sage
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded gruyere or swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Peel and cut the potatoes in 1/4 inch slices.
- Melt butter in a microwavebale bowl, and slowly wisk in flour until there aren’t any lumps.
- Add the milk and spices; mix well.
- Spray the inside of your crockpot stoneware with a bit of cooking oil
- Begin layering the potatoes, onion, walnut pieces, and the milk mixture in the crockpot; continue until everything is used up.
- Shred all of the gruyere and dump on top of the potatoes, flattening if need-be with your hand.
- Sprinkle with a bit more sage
- Cook on high for 3-5 hours (you could try it on low for 7-8 hours)