- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (12-ounce) package smoked or spicy chicken or turkey sausage, sliced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 9 ounces fresh spinach
- Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Rinse your lentils under cold water, and place them into an empty slow cooker. Add beef broth, and sliced sausage. Add the entire can of tomatoes and a cup of chopped carrots. The broth and the seasoning from the sausage is enough to flavor this dish– there is no need for additional spices.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours, then stir in fresh spinach.
- Cover again and let the spinach soften for about 15 minutes.
- Serve in a shallow bowl with cornbread.
Cornbread by Allrecipes.com
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8×8 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, soda and salt. Stir in yogurt and eggs. Do not over mix, stir only until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until center of the bread springs back when gently pressed.