This pasta salad was intended to just be a relish on top of the salmon, but I couldn’t think of another side; we had been eating too much rice lately, so good old rice just wouldn’t do. Instead, I decided to take the relish and turn it into a pasta salad. This salad is packed with nutrients. Yes, there is some oil in it, but fat is good for you – as long as it is the right kind. Olive oil and Canola oil contain monounsaturated fatty acids, which are super heart healthy. Something I didn’t know until my Advanced Nutrition and Metabolism class was that a lot of the phytochemical in vegetables are fat-soluble, which means they need some added fat to help with absorption.
- 1 large cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 white onion, diced
- 1 large stalk of celery
- 2 cups of whole wheat penne pasta, cooked
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Combined the vegetables and pasta into a large bowl.
- Combine the ingredients from the oil down in a small bowl and whisk well. Add more oil if needed.
- Pour marinade on the pasta-vegetable mixture and mix well. Use a spatula to make sure you get all of the marinade out of the bowl and well distributed.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.