Veggie Pot Pie
- 1 tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Biscuit Topping Ingredients
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk or equivalent buttermilk powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
To prepare filling: Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add onions and carrots; cook, stirring, until golden brown and tender, about 7 minutes.
Add 2 cups broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Mix cornstarch with the remaining 1/2 cup broth; add to the pan and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Stir in and meat (if using), peas, corn, salt and pepper. Transfer the filling to a 2-quart baking dish.
To prepare biscuit topping & bake potpie: Preheat oven to 400° F. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and thyme in a large bowl. Using your fingertips or 2 knives, cut butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly. Add buttermilk and oil; stir until just combined.
Drop the dough onto the filling in 5 or 6 even portions. Set the baking dish on a baking sheet.
Bake the potpie until the topping is golden and the filling is bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes; serve.