I really think this hamburger helper takes just about the same amount of time as the boxed version but tastes much better.
- 10oz of ground turkey (double this recipe if you are using the entire package. I use half the package for chili and half for this, which is why it is only 10oz)
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 6 oz low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups whole wheat elbow noodles
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a medium sauce pan, bring water to a bowl and cook the noodles.
- While the water is getting started, place the ground turkey in a pan and brown it. Do not drain the fat (it will only be about 1-2tbsp) and add the onion. Cook the onion until it is tender and then turn off the heat, but leave the meat and onion in the skillet.
- Measure 1/4 cup of milk and add the flour to the measuring cup. Stir until the chunks are gone and then add the remaining 3/4 cup of milk. This is a slurry method for a white sauce and is much lower in calories and fat than a traditional white sauce, which is what we want since we will be adding cheese to it.
- Add the milk mixture to a small or medium skillet and heat over medium high heat. Continuously still with a spatula to prevent clumping. Bring to a boil and boil for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat, but leave the skillet on the warm burner. Add the cheese and stir until well blended.
- By this point the noodles should be cooked and ready to be drained. Drain and add them to the meat mixture. Pour the cheese mixture over the top and stir until well combined.
- Serve and enjoy! You will never want to buy the box again!